Here we go then, the years running out on us. But before we head into another twelve months of late night grins, early morning shenanigans and new basslines of we just know we’re gonna fall for, its time to reflect on the wonders of 2011. Just like you lot, this year has been quality.
Best compilations go to Fabric 59: Jamie Jones’, Hotwaves I & II, Crosstown Rebels presents Rebel Rave 2 and Horse Meat Disco III whilst artist album has to go to Azari & III (however you pronounce it). Gig of the year is a glorious toss up between Hifi Sean at DSD, Guy Williams and Thomas Gandey at BGDW’s Sunday Sundae (never has a terrace been so saucy), Floorplay‘s on Queenie’s Birthday (Mike you are a bad, bad boy), Disco Deviant at The Terraces and Jamie Jones at Audio. Best DJ Mix Download has to head to Resident Advisor’s RA 254 by the godlike Maceo Plex whilst best grin on clubbers face has to go to you…
As for tunes there’s been too, too many. Catch up with the below and definitely look out for their next audio adventures. There’s a sound year ahead of us.
1. Azari & III ‘Hungry For The Power’ Loose Lips Records
Hear the intro, hear the roar. Twisted genius we adore.
2. Joey Negro & Doug Willis ‘Music Speaks Louder Than Words’ ZR Records
If there was ever a manifesto for clubbing life this is it. Magical.
3. Maxxi Soundsystem ‘Get Up’ ‘ / ‘Criticize’ Nurvous Records / Kojak Records
Yes there’s two but we couldn’t choose between them. See we like it local. We love Maxxi. So Sam we salute you.
4. Danism ‘Love The Way’ (Crazy P Remix) Defected
We’re welling up just typing about it. F.E.E.L T.H.E. L.O.V.E.
5. She Wants ‘Metronomy’ Because Music
Our first stop for kooky kool all year long. Amazing album, amazing band. (And Dexter loves them)
6. Human Life ‘Uptown’ Defected Records
Queenie’s must play DSD beachside soundtrack.
7. Kings Of Tomorrow feat. April ‘Take Me Back’ (Sandy Rivera’s Original Mix) Defected
KOT ensured the song was centre this year with this wondrous moment.
8. Hercules & Love Affair ‘My House’ (Tensnake Remix) DFA Records
Best band + best remixer = one of 2011’s finest tunes.
9. John Julius Knight ‘Larry’s Jam’ (Original Mix) Blacklist
Disco touched house once more, thank funk, and we couldn’t get enough.
10. Azari & III ‘Reckless (With Your Love)’ Loose Lips Records
Stand out album track that had the freaks freaking all night long.
11. First Class ‘Let No Man Put Asunder’ (Ron Hardy ‘Baby, Baby, baby Aw Shucks’ Edit) Strut Records
Horse Meat Disco III ensured a cool sequined summer for all. Thanx boys!
12. Crazy P ‘Open For Service’ Om Records
One word. Stunning.
13. Joey Negro & Z Factor ‘Keep On Jumpin’ (Luigi Rocca Remix) Z Records
The classic became a classic all over again courtesy of disco lover called Chris.
14. Art Department ‘We Call Love’ Crosstown Records
Seminal electronica from a supreme band in superb form. That enough S’s for ya?
15. DJ Meme Orchestra feat. Tracey K ‘Love Is You’ (Quentin Harris Lovely Dub) MN2S
Hands in the air wonder that delivered a summer fuelled with love.
16. Bass Kleph & Prok & Fitch ‘Disco Ate My Baby’ Great Stuff Recordings
Prok & Fitch provide the kinda driving tech house foreplay you never wanna end.
17. Lee Picton ‘Acid Deviant’ (Original Mix) Manchester Underground Music
Acid house is back and it’s taking no prisoners. Prepare for an acidic year to come.
18. Maya Jane Coles ‘Humming Bird’ (Original Mix) Hypercolour
Love tech house? Love Coles. She’s a right talented Humming Bird.
19. Pleasurekraft ‘The Main Ingredient’ (Original Mix) Hotfingers
The sound of 2012 hit us early and had us hooked to the pleasure.
20. Christophe ‘The Force’ (Julio Bashmore Piano Mix) Futureboogie Records
Bringing light to the dark, this is a force for the Balearic good.
That’ll do – we’ve got a bunch on 2012 tunes to look forward to.
Catch Wildblood & Queenie at DSD, Rebel, Wild Fruit, Disco Deviant & Sirens.