Blimey what a year that was! Words fail me so I’m reaching for the tunes, the finest labels, producers, DJ’s and artists of 2010. The best of my Wildblood Wonders. The ones you shouldn’t be without. It was a class year for Brighton deck action. Guy Williams and Fat Tony at DTPM, Hifi Sean @ Porno, Duffie at Rebel, Jonny’s closing Pride set, The Hoxton Whores, Paul Heron & Mr Haji at Fruit, Queen Josephine’s seaside action at DSD, Helene being a Honey, Kendrick at Sundae, Greg Wilson at Vintage, LoHands at Girl Action and Prok & Fitch destroying the rammed Audio terrace one Saturday afternoon in August! We’ve been lucky dancing buggers this year!
Back to the pre-recorded, Future Disco continued their sterling sequined work with the wonderful ‘Neon Nights’ whilst Fabric defied rumours of closure and delivered compilation after compilation of live brilliance. Defected Records continued to deliver the house we loved with plenty of In The House and Ibiza Adventures whilst Wolf & Lamb and Crosstown Rebels emerged as the connoisseur’s labels of choice.
As for my continual players of 2010? Anything from Kitsune blew a storm of style and substance through my year, as did the acidic drop that is Soul Mekanik’s ‘Eighty One Deluxe’, the genius of Hurt’s ‘Happiness’, the fabulous filth of ‘Simian Mobile Disco Is Fixed’ and the quality of Mademoiselle Caro & Franck Garcia’s ‘Left’ on Buzzin Fly. But my ultimate longplayers of year? It’s a beautiful toss up between Akabu’s ‘The Phuture Ain’t What It Used To Be’ on Z Records and the sweet Strut of ‘Horse Meat Disco II’. In the end the beards may have just edge it. There I’ve said it, my inner disco bear wins. Here’s to another furry fabulous year! Enjoy.
Wildblood Super fabulous Wondrous Ones of 2010
1. Codec Shift ‘Viper Room’ Veryverywrongindeed Recordings
2010’s slice of beauty. After the bore of ‘trouse’, this is a tech wonder.
2. The Layabouts ‘Perfectly’ (The Layabouts Vocal Mix) Reel People Music
For all the lovers. End of.
3. Dennis Ferrer ‘Hey Hey’ Defected
If you had to have an anthem this was it. Never has raising hands felt so good.
4. Two Door Cinema Club ‘Something Good Can Work’ (The Twelves Remix) Kitsuné
There’s never a bad day with this in your sound system. Pop as medication!
5. Roy Ayers & Bah Samba ‘Positive Vibe’ (Andy Ward Sunshine Mix) Favouritizm
A tune that ensured the summer stayed fine what ever the weather.
6. Mavis ‘Revolution’ (DarkStarr Remix Mastered) !K7
Slow the groove down and everything gets too, too good.
7. Prok and Fitch vs. Todd Terry ‘Something’s Going On’ Stealth
My favourite Pride moment. Shiny Sundae / Fruity / Disco ball!
8. Loui Scibi ‘This Is How We Do It’ (DJ Meme Dub Mix) Diamondhouse Records
Us soul house heads danced (and wept) all year long to this beauty.
9. Butch ‘No Worries’ (Original Mix) Cecille
Let No Man Put Asunder the groove Butch had us getting on courtesy of this blinder.
10. The XX Crystalised (Curious George & The Agent) / Shelter (Tiga Remix) White
Band of the year + remixes of the year = grins of the year.
11. Priors ‘What You Need’ (Dcup Remix) Eye Industries
Filter French spongy bass that means love, friendship and happy times.
12. Phonic Funk ‘I Like It’ Salted Music
Stripped back beauty that got a many a terrace groove on.
13. Beaten Soul ft Tyree Cooper ‘That’s House Music’ Seamless Recordings
A jackin reminder that at the end of the day it’s just all about the house music.
14. Bah Samba ‘Don’t Let Them Get You Down’ Favouritizm
Yes that’s two Favouritizm’s in one chart – but when the tunes are this good.
15. Seamus Haji & Dino Psaras feat Rudi My Destiny (Michele Chiavarini Remix) Big Love
Something about the bass ensured this hit just the right Big Love spot.
16. Mark Reeve ‘Two Shots of Manilow’ (Original Mix) Seamless Recordings
The year of disco found a deep house bedfellow and delivered a dream combo.
17. Disco Darlings ‘To Be Real’ (The Hoxtons Whores Dub) White
My best Fruity moment of the year as Hoxton’s dropped Cheryl and we felt it for real.
18. Nick Tcherniak & Steve Thomas ‘Deep Water’ (Hifi Sean Psychedelic Dub) Sorry Shoes
A trio of boys who rocked our world with their class productions, remixers and sets.
19. Stefan Levan ‘House Music Cities (London Glasgow Munich Chicago) Chunky Musica
Acidic brilliance that delivered a root felt reminder of why house is my first love.
20. Duck Sauce ‘Barbra Streisand’ (Original Mix) Fools Gold
One for the sneak banger bar boys at Audio. Your dance moves made my summer!